Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Music of the heart

So, as most of you noticed I left class a little early yesterday. I am sorry for the distraction, I felt really sick suddenly. Anyway, music is a big part of my life so I was disappointed I couldn't sit through the lecture. I did look up more videos on the Theremin and I don't know how I have never heard of this instrument before! It's absolutely breath taking how the instrument works like that. I went on youtube, and found this one that is a cover of Gnarles Barkley's "Crazy". I think it is important to connect older influences with newer ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW0B1sipLBI

The Physic TV - Godstar, seems like video art to me. I wonder if it is considered video art...It is very psychedelic, but just listening without looking at the video sounds like a typical 70s song. I didn't recognize any of the songs from The Physcic TV but I can tell there are influences going on. Then when I clicked the link for Satisfaction, I got really excited. I love this song by the Rolling Stones. Then clearly from watching the other videos, this song has influenced many other bands as well. We have even seen Britney Spears cover this song. We have talked about how we keep re-using the same artistic influences over and over. We really aren't original anymore. We love older songs of different generations and we just re-do them to fit the style of our generation.

The Robots, Kraftwerk, is music I think we are going to see come back around again in the next generation. It is futuristic, and we are going to influences from all different eras and we haven't really had that robotic kind of music yet, techno and electronica have influences but they aren't as main stream anyway.

I don't know where we stopped on the syllabus on Tuesday, but I look forward to hearing more about music on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment