Sunday, February 8, 2009

TED: MIT Students Turn Internet Into a Sixth Human Sense -- Video

My first reaction after reading this article was, "how can someone be so smart to actually make something like this happen." I think with my right side of the brain. I am more creative and less mathematical and scientific. For someone to come up with this idea is absolutely out of my element. I think it is brilliant, and brilliantly scary. With all the technological advances we have seen over the past decade, it is incredible to think that one day technology will be the one controlling humans.

I think this projector of information can be very useful in work, and for work related purposes. But when the article mentioned, "When he encounters someone at a party, the system projects a cloud of words on the person's body to provide more information about him -- his blog URL, the name of his company, his likes and interests." I got very uneasy about this new invention. I mean talk about intrusive. I think it is enough that you can google someones name and have a plethora of their past and present pop up on your computer screen, but to actually be talking to someone and in the middle of a conversation bring up all their information from the computer right into the moment, it feels so dehumanizing.

Text message, Facebook, Email, and all other communication websites have completely taken away from the communication between humans. Phone calls are becoming more rare, it is easier to make a date over facebook, and email are a simple way to not have to directly talk to someone but still let them know you are thinking about them. Maybe that is why relationships have gone so awry in the past few years. Communication by word of mouth has become like an extinct species. Saying I love You is a simple text message or email. Everything is easier said written in words instead of spoken, and our communication has taken a toll for our advances in technology.

I think this "sixth sense" is going to be the next big thing. People are going to love it, while other people are going to hate it. But it is definitely the next step in our advances in technology. I just hope we can utilize it and not abuse it.

No comments:

Post a Comment